Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mascara Mascarade

I've tried them all. Yes, folks. I've tested most tubed mascara out there. Since the age of 12, I have been on a search for that fabulous, glorious tube of black goodness; Mascara.

And what have I come to find out? You don't need to spend a lot. Nope, just a mere $8 and your eyelashes will be thanking you for days, along a few compliments here and there on your beautiful eyes.

Let me just say, the blacker the better! Keep your lashes dark and dramatic. I don't care what the experts say; brown for blue-eyed, blondes etc. Remain black! It will make such the difference. Mascara can create a look that is to die for, and so here we go!

What have I tried? I'm going to remain general, but so far, I have experimented with Maybelline, MAC, Loreal, Cover Girl, Wet 'n Wild, Estee Lauder, Sephora, Clinque, Bobbi Brown and Rimmel. And within these brands, I've tried at least 3 or 4 different versions.

A plethora, I know. Call me obsessive. But it's my obessive reality. My ex and still dear friend used to say, "Don't wear makeup, you're so much prettier without." Puh-lease. I would always return with, "You wouldn't have looked twice at me if I hadn't been wearing this stuff." Now, I'm not saying we all don't have the inner beauty-- we truly do, and when you find that right person, makeup really doesn't matter. However, you can't stop a girl's passion! *wink wink.

I hate the mascaras with sad bristles, or barely-there bristles, or stubby bristles, or those that carry heavy clumps and dumps of black crap. You either look like a hot mess or some weak soul with non-existent lashes. And don't get me started on the $38-$50 designer mascaras; are you KIDDING me? A complete waste of hard earned dollar bills. Sorry, we're not all Beyonce. No sir, no thank you. And so here I am, a girl with a love for makeup and the determination to keep on searchin. But alas, I believe I have found the mascara fit for any princess/working girl/suga mamma/crazy mother/dramatic sister/college student/pubescent teen.

For those on a money crunch, the BEST and simplest mascara you should 'invest' in is
Maybelline Full 'n Soft, $7.49

This puppy has a plump and full (hence 'full n soft') brush that will give your lashes real length and definition without clumps. It truly has the ability to extend your lash and give them a fluffy, soft look. I have been a believer in this stuff since high school and my sister is a true follower. I'm telling you, it will get you hooked.

If you are a little more bold and willing to take a bigger gamble and splurge, go for this!

Fresh Supernova Mascara, $25


My roommate is a hardcore user of this stuff and man, is it glorious! She so generously let me try it out for myself one night and it does the job right. The brush is not insanlely full or packed with bristles, but it almost perfectly separates and extends your lashes to a beautiful length with clean and non-clumpy definition. Yes, the price may be a bit spendy for some. But it also has a very long shelf-life, so stock up or buy when you have some room in your budget.

Reminders: Mascara is only good for a few months, if that. So be sure to replace. Do NOT share mascara (shh, I know, we've all done it) and be sure to use makeup remover when it comes to heavy mascara. You don't want to be losing your coveted lashes!

So get on out there and show those lashes off! The world will thank you.

Peace and love,

1 comment:

  1. have you tried maybelline Lash Stiletto? I never buy them without trying someone else's but for some reason when I saw the commercial I went out and bought it immediately! I love the way it literally lengthens my lashes! Often Mascara is the only form of make- up I wear so it is important that it does the job well! Thanks for all the tips! I love them and will make sure I update you when I try them!

    ReplyDelete